Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Spoiled


That's how I feel right now.  I counted it up and I did 13 sets in 10 days when I was out west in Seattle and Vancouver.  My comedy experiences in both cities was just incredible.

Seattle: This is a true comedy community.  The story, the basic one that is, goes like this.  The big club in town wasn't run very well.  The manager wasn't great about local talent and generally left a lot to be desired.  So instead of competing with each other for a few scraps from the table, the comics came together and worked their butts off.  They started their own scene, worked out deals with venues and sponsors, and really started something special.  Their shows draw GREAT comedy crowds and it was fantastic to perform out there.  Now, the Peoples Republic of Komedy is a brand name that has carved out a permanent home in Seattle.  It's big enough that they have their own section in an enormous festival that features acts from all across the country.

They took hold of their own comedy destiny.  I met a bunch of fabulous comics out there that are products of this great scene.  The amount of work they put in is staggering compared to the meager efforts that guys like me have ever done.  Really inspiring.  My final thought on this is that no one out there would ever sh*t on guys like Curt Schackelford; someone that gives stagetime should be supported.  Even if a majority of the comics don't like the way he books/runs his room, he has created a viable scene outside of the Club Monopoly.  This is super important.

Vancouver: One of the most beautiful cities in the world.  The comedy club is perfect.  Seriously.  It's a perfect club.  It was designed for comedy and it is the most fun place to work ever.  The worst night there this past weekend is still better than anywhere else I've worked.  I spent each day walking around outside taking in some badass scenery.  They have it all: mountains, beach, river/bay/ocean, great architecture, and green space.  Also, the club has popcorn that you can snack on.  Popcorn.

Why don't you just move there Danny?  You want to know why?  Because the coins matter.  I hate change (and not just things being altered, I do get uncomfortable with things being different).  I cannot stand it.  I hate coins.   I hate keeping track of them, dealing with them, and using them.  In Canada, like Europe, they have dollar coins.  They also have 2 dollar coins.  2!  So annoying.  You could be holding 9$ in coins and barely even know it.  I cannot keep track of them and that's why I could never live in Canada.  Is that the only reason?  Yes.  100%.  That's it and it is beyond negotiation.

Back in NYC now.  Got some stuff coming up.  Look for some new podcasts soon.  Should be fun.

No comments: