Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More Soprano thoughts

Kent had a nice comment on my last rant blog. I loved the show. I still do in fact. Not much better than watching some of the classic episodes. Last week I caught the episode where Big Pussy gets whacked. Still gave me chills.

In the words of Samuel L..."Well allow me to retort!"

Kent makes some assertions, but that's what they are: assertions. They are friends with hypothesis, theory, and conjecture.

The feud with NY is over...for now. It was over when Johnny Sac and Tony had that meeting and the FBI came for Johnny Sac. But new stuff developed. That's the point. It's the lifestyle. Always something. Maybe it is over for good. Maybe it isn't. No one knows because we don't see.

AJ isn't depressed for 9 minutes of a show. He wasn't depressed when he was playing football 3 seasons ago...then he collapsed.

You say it yourself, 'Meadow is on track'. That's my point in a nutshell. We don't know where those tracks go. Anyone's guess. No one is right because we'll never see it unless there is a movie.

I didn't necessarily need Tony to die. It's one example. Closure would have been as simple as Meadow getting to sit down. The guy from the bathroom leaving. Anything! All we have are assumptions.

Now, that said, I thought this episode and the last one were 2 of the best in the history of the show and tv. I cannot remember feeling more tense about anything ever. Amazing. I enjoyed it too. I'm not a snob...well not about this anyway.

It's just that the ending isn't an ending. It's a discontinuation, a lack of coverage, a ceasing of informing. It's not fair. It's smug and it's a genuine lack of respect for the fans. I really believe this.

This show could have been made into another arrested development. No one had to watch it. We did. We invested so much. Chase took the reigns for the finale and he jerked us around as he's laughing about how smart he is. Symbols everywhere.

Was the cat Chrissy? Was it Big Pussy? Was it Adriana? Was it just a cat?

It's all just us schleps out here guessing and trying to sound smart at parties and over email. I have my own interpretation. My friends have theirs too. That's the point. That inherently means there is no closure.

You can argue that Tony gets whacked, you can argue that he doesn't. The fact that there is a debate is why I'm pissed. That means there was no closure and that's what I wanted. I wanted finality, not the illusion of it. Everyone is on a track as you mentioned but if the show taught us anything, it's that you never know. They even go so far as to say as much. It's frustrating. I don't like the fact that the last taste in my mouth is that I have to wait for the Sopranos movie to see where all the characters that I have gotten to know end up.

Anyway, good points. I'm just pissed and can't see myself being unpissed for many moons.

3 comments:

Q.Ledbetter said...

I think Chase was giving the fans an opportunity to create their own ending. Some die hard fans wanted to see Tony die, others didn't. The same goes with the other characters. Everyone had assumptions and directions they wanted them to go.

The only way to please everyone would be to set the ending up in a way where you could imagin your own ending.

As simple a take on things that may be...thats what I'm thinkin'.

Q.Ledbetter said...

and oh yeah...an episode or two before Christopher died he said something to the effect of, "I swear if I die I'm gonna come back and haunt that mother fucker," to Tony in reference to Polly.

the cat came and drove Polly nuts...so I'm thinkin' that the cat was Christopher

Unknown said...

Ask yourself, "Do I want the show to end?" If the answer is "no," then you should relish the fade to black. If "yes," then you have a right to gripe. Personally, I enjoyed the tension, and I'm glad there wasn't a climax. I leaves me wanting more. And I believe I'll get more. Someday.