Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Monday, February 12, 2007

I'd like to thank...

Table of Blogtents:

1) The Grammy's are no longer relevant
2) Poonanza was great. Thanks to everyone that was part of the show. Both in the crowd and the cast. Great experience.
3) I had the most absurdly busy weekend ever.
4) You definitely do not care about #3 but its true.


1-The Grammys are the most unwatchable of all the award shows to me. The following are the reasons why:

A) No one ever considers how absurd it is that an industry gets together to honor itself based on arbitrary judgements. Music is art. How can you judge art and say one song is better than another? Of the nominees for this year's prizes, I think I downloaded 0 of them. The best music coming out now is not at the Grammys and I'm thankful for it. I don't want something I like to be up against Fergie in the best pop category.

B) We don't televise other such industry award shows. For 'best architecture in a modern victorian subdivision development...'

C) Acceptance speeches. Several people we've never heard of are named and thanked. They are always awkward. Not 'The Office' awkward, more painful awkward.

D) The performances fall into one of a few categories.
- Lip Synching crap
- No longer relevant band playing to a forced and over-appreciative crowd
-Current singer doing some kind of montage/tribute to another singer that is nice in theory but doesn't work out live
-occasional brilliance (Elton John and Eminem for example)

The problem is, you have to sit through the other stuff to get the goodness.

E) Hollywood actors taking part. Listen, I like Scarlett Johanson...I really do, but why is she there? OK, bad example. But why are random actors at these awards? It is a forced way for them to get some pub.

F) The forced ovations anytime someone old is involved (Tony Bennett, Smokey Robinson etc.). Their mere appearance makes people stand and give ovations. In reality, if most of these people walked by Smokey Robinson, they wouldn't care. They just stand up and clap because of where they are. Listen, the old guys are awesome. They did stuff; great stuff. The last relevant thing Tony Bennett did was in the mid 90s. he's 80. Don't trot him out there with Tarrantino like he's a show dog. Annoying.

G) the 'zany pairings' to present awards. Oh my gosh, they have Busta Rhymes and Jack Nicholson presenting 'Best Country Album"! I'm going to spit I'm so excited.

H) Apparently, it is impossible to do an awards show in under 4 hours.

That's top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

Last Grammy thought: can you imagine the Emmy's having a contest where the winner gets to do a scene with Heath Ledger? Exactly.


2) Poonanza kicked arse. The show ran a bit longer than we thought. Still, there weren't much in the way of 'down moments'. My sketches were poorly written at best. I think there is a lesson in there...

3) My sched on Saturday:

Buddy Jackson shoot from 8-5 in Alexandria.
Standup show from 8-10:15 at the Bethesda Hyatt
Poonanza from 11-2 AM at the Warehouse Theater.

Long day. Lots of fun, but long. Like a great waterslide.


4) You definitely don't care do you? Right. Didn't think so.

Appendix

Why do you think they call the end of the book an appendix? Is it something you can remove and still go on with?

No comments: