Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Adventures of The People

This is the most vague title I could think of.

One of the main reasons I moved to New York was the idea that the people here with me would be willing to create. What I mean is that I want to constantly produce content. Video, sketch, new standup etc. I have still found it hard even in a place with people who are like-minded. The tough thing is, everyone is busy. Even guys like Rory Scovel and me, who are without jobs, have a hard time getting together to do the things we like...and create comedy. That was a joke that implies we make seggs. We don't.

I'm going to film another segment for my Animal Planet show 'the A-List' next Wednesday. I could not be more thankful for this opportunity. Managers, if you're out there, manage me. Thanks.

Currently listening to some Guns 'N Roses on my computational device. Cival War. Sorry about that. We were robbed. That band could have done anything. Literally anything. They were perfect. If I could go back in time, I'd take lottery numbers with me. Then, I'd try to get close to GNR and set them straight. I would tell them they owe it to those of us that can't do what they do to keep going. D*cks. Then I'd go back to when the Redskins drafted Heath Shuler and not allow that by showing the picture I took of his real estate sign in Tennessee when he should have been in the prime of his career.

Obviously, I am a Redskins fan. This week has been really tough. It's an insult to the memory and legacy of someone to claim some kind of personal connection with him. The truth is this: as much as one can care for someone he has never met, I cared for Sean Taylor. I followed him at the U, hoped for his coming to DC, followed his development with great interest. The window of the media provided that for me. I never met him but I feel like I knew who he was. The actions of men are what define them. His actions were improving and he should be defined as a bright star that left us too soon. It makes me sick that his past issues are dragged up in the coverage.

Would that happen to a regular guy? 'Jim was killed and when he was in college he drank too much one night and puked in his roomate's pillow case. He also lied to his boss and went on a long weekend by calling in sick at job he didn't care about.' Obviously, the level of problems we're talking about are different (calling in sick vs putting a shotgun in a dude's mouth and beating him senseless) but that doesn't mean you drag them up.

I am going to the game this Sunday. I don't know why I feel compelled to do so, but I do. I have a special place in my memory for people that brought me joy. People can say what they want about Jordan, but I saw something transcendent. I wasn't the only one that went to the park after he switched hands in mid-air against the Lakers in the finals to see if I could do it on an 8 foot rim. Sean Taylor is one of those people. When he picked up that fumble against the eagles, who I loathe like athlete's foot, and returned it for a touchdown sending us to the playoffs, I was euphoric. It was a gift. He may not have addressed it to me, but I received it.

So, for what it's worth, and that's not much, I will miss Sean Taylor. A man I never met or talked with, a guy that I saw for 20 weeks a year on Sundays, a player that gave me joy to watch. I'll miss that feeling.

No comments: