Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

DC Comedy Preachers

For those that don't consider themselves on the 'in' of the DC Comedy scene, this may not interest you. It also might, I can't be responsible for knowing what you like.

I have been very fortunate to make some incredible friends doing comedy for the past 2+ years in the DC area. I really feel like there is a growing community of comics that are beginning to be more supportive of each other because they realize that the better the scene is, the more opportunities will be created for us all to further our goals.

To that end, a few comics (myself included) have offered advice in their public spaces (blogs, websites etc.) about the art of standup trying to pass on what they've learned and their observations on comedy and comics. Advice and opinions. That's really been it as far as I can tell.

Another group of comics have been rubbed the wrong way by these postings and have offered their advice and opinions; telling the first group of comics to stop putting their advice and opinions about stand up in public space.

A buddy of mine, and a really funny, smart, and original comic Sean Gabbert made some really good points in his blog about how we really have no place offering anything because we are all so new to this relatively speaking. Check it here. Just click on his blog entry.

Another buddy of mine, Jay Hastings had his own opinions. His blog (its the one with the 'stand up rant in the title).

I totally understand where these guys are coming from. I really do. I do disagree though. Guys like Rory Scovel and Chris White have offered a lot of advice for comics. Here is why we ('semi-experienced vets' and newbies alike) should welcome this:

1) When I first started 2+ years ago, the first 6 months of my comedy career were a complete waste. I invited my poor friends to every open mic I did because I thought it was a big deal, my material/stage presence/delivery/approach/knowledge of what makes a show/etiquette was awful. I would have been so lucky, as a new person starting out to have had someone like Rory (or myself now after learning a ton about what not to do) helping me out. No one was really blogging 2 years ago and there weren't that many places to go. I went to Wiseacres on Wed and Thurs for 2 straight weeks and didn't get on. That was standard. Chris White created DC Standup which is an incredible resource for people starting out but that site, to me at least, was more about where to go/who to talk to/how to get on than about how to actually shape your material/stage presence/approach (or at least that's how I felt 2 years ago). The point is, people who are starting out now, have a huge advantage/resource that I certainly couldn't find 2 years ago. Not that I'm a mentor or some guru, I have a ton to learn. But I have been right where some new guy is now and can help. That's a fact.

2) I had a baseball coach in college. He was the guy that recruited me and we had a great relationship. He told me a lot of great things. One of the greatest lessons he imparted to me had to do with baseball but I think it applies everywhere. He basically said: you always listen to a coach and you give what he says a shot. Give it a real shot. It may not work for you because there is no definitive way to do something but you can learn from it nonetheless. You'll have a lot of different coaches and part of what makes the best players are guys that are always willing to listen and looking to improve. Somebody may say something one day that puts it all together for you but you never know unless you were listening.

3) If you don't happen to like the advice/opinion being given, you have every right to disagree with it. I just don't understand why someone would summarily dismiss something. The way it comes across to me is that the person feels like they are being talked down to and that guys like Rory/Chris/me are arrogant and pedantic as we sit atop our high horses throwing down knowledge tidbits to starving peasants in a village we rule. I have learned so much over the last couple years by watching Rory, Ryan Conner, Chris, Doug Powell, Justin Schlegel, Erin Conroy, Jon Mumma, Sean Gabbert and others. But you know what? I've learned a lot from watching Jay Hastings and Jeff Maurer. Both these guys have been doing it for like 6 months and are already ahead of me. I think back to my 6 month mark and how terrible I was in retrospect. I guess the point is, if you don't like the advice, don't read. But I really think its your loss

4) The main focus of what Rory is writing about to me is how we need to be less competitive and more supportive of comedy in this area. I have been doing comedy in DC for over 2 years. Honestly, its rare that I don't crush at an open mic or whatever (extenuating circumstances aside). But you know what? I've worked exactly one week at the DC Improv. My home club, I've had one week there. The point is that opportunities are so limited. Offering advice to new comics, helping comics start more rooms to get more stage time, and sharing everything we know with each other is a way to create more opportunities for all of us. I just can't understand why people would object to that. This 'everyman for himself' approach to stand up is really shortsighted in my mind.

Sorry this wasn't funny at all but I did warn you. (I have a southern girl friend who says: 'Now, I just wanna pre-warn y'all'. That's redundantly redundant. You don't warn someone after the fact. There are no 'post warnings'.)

Also sorry if this came across as preachy. I know its annoying. Not to put words in Sean's mouth, but I think he basically says that: 'because we are all so clueless, we shouldn't offer advice on our blogs and such'. To me, because we are all so clueless, that's exactly why we should have as much out there as possible. I for one, want to learn and get better. Always. Anyone who thinks they know everything, is someone who is stuck.

1 comment:

Matt Mayer said...

Well Mister Rouhier, I do believe that about says it.

May I say that as a beginner who has been offered advice by Danny, I will listen to every word he has to say? That doesn't mean I'll always agree with what he says or use the advice, but I'm glad of it, and I'll thank him sincerely for it.

Danny, you can't be more right about this subject. Saying you shouldn't blog advice about stand-up comedy on your own blog is like saying you shouldn't make violent video games. User discretion is implied. It says right there on the package that you're Danny Rouhier (i.e. not Eddie Murphy), and so people can choose to read it or skip it; they can choose to listen to you or not bother; they can choose to heed the advice or keep rolling on their own; but they have the choice now, and that choice is everything.

I am the Creative Director of a comedy group that does Sketch, Music, Improv, and Stand-up comedy. This is the first time I've ever done sketch comedy, but that doesn't mean I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've seen enough of it and been part of enough theater to know a trick or two, and I'd be hurting my group not to impart my knowledge and experience on them. I may not be right all the time (I'm definitely not), but we try the ideas and see what happens. My point is that we only have the ideas if people share them.

So thank you, in a personal way and on behalf of every stand-up you've ever played mentor or coach for, for your advice and sincerity. I not only feel like a better comic because of what you said, but also because you took the time to say it.