Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Expanding My Ego

My favorite thing about comedy, by far, is after a great set (which is pretty awesome in and of itself), having strangers compliment you. I love it so much. 2, 4, 6, 8 your ego we will validate! Roo-yeah! Roo-yeah! Roo-yeah!

Now, I realize of course that I have railed against bad comics in this space who get really pumped up after a good set at an open mic (rightly so I believe) but it doesn't count when it applies to me. I'm the greatest comic ever of all time ever and everyone who was a t Topaz last night (32 people) will agree because you can't help but see my greatness. Note: the only thing that is true about the last sentence was that I was at Topaz last night.

Seriously though, nothing better than when strangers were so moved by how funny you were, that they had to tell you they thought you were funny. In fact, I like it the most when black guys do it. Totally serious about that. One dude last night goes: "Hey man, you a funny motherf*cker." That is a compliment right there. Way better than the standard white girl of: "Oh my gosh, I thought you were soooooo funny." Nice, but it lacks that little extra something...

In light of the recent 'discussion' about comics helping each other, I watched everyone's set last night and offered advice to anyone who wanted it. Its my new thing. I'm helping people and it feels good. I'm like a comedy politician. I'm here for the good of the people and the really selfish feeling I get when I think I'm doing good but its really completely self-serving in a 'holier than thou/its hard to see from atop this really high horse' kind of way. My boy Andy Lopresto weighed in and offered his take on the discussion. Good thoughts young man. I am really not that good of a person.

I'm judging the District's Funniest College competition tonight at George Mason. Rory Scovel is hosting. I'm pumped to see Erin Jackson (she's judging as well) because A) she's awesome and one of the sweetest people that currently lives B) she's a funny comic C) She is currently carrying the torch for funny women in DC.

Now that my girls Erin Conroy and Alicia Gomes are bricks in the wall in NY, EJ is lonely. Come on funny women! Step it up out there. Watch Erin do her thing. Most of her jokes, men and women could do. Its because they are smart and well crafted. I know its a double standard and it sucks, but most of the time, people don't want to hear women talk the same way guys do. When women do potty humor, talk about sentence conclusions (I refuse to say 'period' in that way), and then b*tch about how they can't get laid and how they only attract sh*tty men usually tends to rub people the wrong way. I don't know the psychology of it, just observations. Erin and Alicia are both mint at telling jokes that are just plain funny and creative. We miss them. Also, just realized I'm kinda pissed at Conroy for two reasons;

1) She made fun of my voicemail which says that I am a comic which I keep because it annoys my comic friends

2) She's not coming down for the DC Comedyfest which is going to be awesome. Good move Conroy. Why would you want to come home and perform in a huge festival and be at the forefront and see all your friends? Alicia is doing it. And I thought you were doing everything that Alicia does now. Oh snap! I believe that's the first salvo of a new blog showdown.

No comments: