Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Mexican Restaurants and Dremos

Stunning. That is the only word I can think of to describe the show I did Sunday night. I did a Christian Comedy night at a Mexican restaurant in Germantown. I could not make that up. There was gospel music playing before the show started and the intro I had to memorize for the headliner went just like this: "Here she is, all the way from Springfield, VA. She's here to bless you. Please put your hands together and praise the lord... ____________ (her name)"

She then sang some gospel music and the people loved it. No one in the place liked my jokes. The very nice lady who put the show together promised the crowd that none of the comics would make fun of the audience. After my jokes drew zero laughs, I resorted to making fun of the audience. There was a freshman in high school there and I gave him the tools to be the most popular kid in class for at least one day. His dad was cool and laughed at the appropriate times so he really stood out.

I called out one guy because he wouldn't clap and made it so awkward that he had no choice but to clap. I won. One of the comics ate a piece of chicken on stage and then did hurricane jokes. I will recommend him to the Boston Comedy Festival. Zing! It still hurts goddamnit.

I did Dremos tonight. Tried some new stuff that mostly went over well. I am officially retiring a joke. That is the hardest thing to do in comedy I think. I have tried so hard with this thing but it will simply not be funny. I have given it to Rory and told him to make it funny or kill it with a hot poker. There was a pack of super annoying chicks that were talking all through my set. Even after I made fun of them, they kept talking and the leader, the fattest one so I assume she was the leader, didn't get that I was making fun of her and she was ruining the show.

October 22nd is going to be incredible. 7 of the greatest comics to ever do comedy will avert the apocolypse with mind bending humor. Ticket info will come soon as soon as the rest of the DC comedy scene realizes that if we are successful it will be great for comedy in DC. There are a lot of open mics but not enough great rooms for comics to get paid. We are trying to start one and Curt Shackelford has been working his ass off for over a year to find one. Sorry if people are pissed but they need to see the big picture. I will tell you who does get it: Blaire Postman. She is the chair of the DC Comedyfestival and she is going to open tons of doors for deserving comics in this area. Go see Daniel Tosh at GW's Lisner Auditorium on Nov 4th. That guy is incredible and Blaire is bringing him in for a 'taste of the festival'.

Holler

No comments: