Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Craig's List

I realize that I'm probably well behind the times here, but I am confused over the nature of craig's list. I get that its an easy way to do classifieds which can be extremely functional. You can find a sublet, some furniture, even a roommate and all these things are good uses of cyberspace. There is a darker side to the c-list that is, quite frankly, bizarre and terrifying in a 'small child with a monotone voice and wide eyes' kind of way.

I was on the c-list today looking for an apartment. I got board from trying to translate the constant flow of 3 bdr, 2.5bth, k/dwu, gdspl, w/du $2200 sec dp .5 1mr.

So, I looked about the site a little bit. There is a section called 'casual encounters'. This is for people to arrange to make the sex. Here I was wasting my time trying to talk to women who in turn leaving me to go and talk to ass-clowns that look like the belong in a Chapel Hill fraternity basement funneling Jack Daniels while a shrieking southern girl rebels against her uptight moral code by kissing Yates-Harrison Bodeaux IV before going on their 5th date.

I quickly realized that I could not look at this casual encounters section while at work because it is the same filth level as reading the made up stories in playboy and penthouse and my emails to my high school friends. So, I went back to the main page and another thing caught my eye: 'missed connections'. People write stuff like this: "hotty from the Balston Metro Stop wearing a blue jacket. Hi" in hopes that said person will see it and contact them. This is the internet equivalent of the Senifeld episode where George thinks of what he should have said to the guy in his office after the fact and he settles on "Jerkstore. I'm going with Jerkstore". What a joke.

Then it struck me that my X-girlfriend emailed me one of those a couple of weeks ago that featured one of my comedy buddies. Which means that someone was hoping he'd read it. It also means that she was reading them which makes me uncomfortable. This is just a phenomenon that I don't get and I don't want to get it. The same way I have no interest in getting 'hooked on IM'. I hate IM for many reasons. Here are 2:

1) I cannot type fast enough to keep up. I am still responding to a question after the other person has typed 4 more responses
2) I would have to punch myself in the face if I were ever tempted to use terms like: brb! LOL! TTYL :) !! (:-!)

If any of you missed connecting with me, my email is danny.funnydanny.com. I was the guy that thinks you are a complete loser for posting these things on the internet. Contact me.

No comments: