Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Learning to Make Jokes

Muttley's was cancelled last night so I did 7 minutes at Dremos instead. It was fine. I realized a few things:

1) I really have no idea how to write a joke. I have no clue what my 'style' is. I just create things that I think are funny with every joke being different. Some have to do with my silly little voices and others are stories and still others are the more classic set up-punch line-tag line things that make me want to puke in my own mouth.

2) There are 3 comics that were all there last night who are amazing joke writers: Chris White, Ryan Conner and Jeff Maurer. I watch them and always think things like: 'I wish I'd thought of that' and 'he's got a real pretty mouth'. If you are just starting comedy or if you have been doing the exact same 7 minute set since I've known you or if you still think doing an open mic is a big deal or if you brag about one time at an open mic where you got laughs or if you ruin the show for the rest of the comics because you deflate the crowd because your set eats it so bad that you think about quitting comedy like the time I did Bridges, please observe these guys and analyze how they structure things because its good.

3) I really can't stand it when I see someone who I think has the talent to be a good comic not using it (If you are friends with Julia Bensfield, kidnap her and bring her to comedy shows because she could be great). I've seen so many comics get up and give a 7 minute speech that is always the same. There are a couple of funny parts but its like they have no concept of what jokes are (less so than me). They might get a few laughs but they will never kill with that stuff. To me, that has to be your goal. I am not satisfied with that kind of laughter. I get pissed when I don't crush and I can't imagine being in any way satisfied with anything less (which is why I'm always pissed). I always want to get better and I see these people staying on the same plane and its really irritating.

4) Of course there is no one way to write jokes. If there was a formula that could be easily evaluated, Chris and Ryan would have met in the finals at the Boston Comedy Festival. What is funny to some will be noise to others. I blogged the other day about how much I love Dane Cook (as a comic. Easy gay police). Chris White makes some really good points in his blog about why you shouldn't like Dane Cook http://www.chriswhitesucks.com/blog.php (go all the way down to the bottom). Its an opinion thing.

Really excited for U2 tonight. Satellite is going to be cooler than Optimus Prime in pajamas on Saturday.

Holler

No comments: