Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I Would Never Hang Out Here...

The moving process is almost complete. I'll probably be fully in this weekend. The major issue is this: after 9 years of living inside of Washington, DC, I will be living in Arlington (just outside the city). There are two types of people in the world:

1) Type 1: those that live in cities and realize why it is tight to do so

2) Those who do not and awkwardly defend living outside the city with things like: 'The commute isn't that bad', 'I don't like the fast pace of the city', 'the bars out here are actually really fun', 'it just made better sense for me right now to move out there; its not that far and I can come in whenever I want to...'. Poppycock. All of it. Its beat up. The only reason you should ever do what I'm doing is if you wish to save a lot of $ or its all you could find. Note: this is not true if you are a grown up. It is different for grown ups. They have to take into account awkward things like mortgages and school systems. 26 year old comics do not think of these things and if they do, they are bad comics.

I grew up just outside of DC. I commuted every day through elementary school and high school. I used to get frustrated at my good friends that lived in the city who expressed nothing but disdain for anything outside of the city limits. "Why would I ever leave?" They would say...It was only until I lived inside that I knew the truth...it changes you. You become different. What was close before...is now so far. A 20 minute drive becomes abhorrent. You learn to cut people out of your life...the ones that live in Alexandria because you know it sucks to go there always because you can only go 25 and there are a billion traffic lights and idiots say: 'but old towne is so nice' and you tell them its a poor man's capital hill and that if I wanted to live on that side of National Airport I would but I would rather be kicked in the shins by a kid that has a snot bubble in his nose throughout the Spring months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In all honesty, I would much prefer to live in Arlington than in the city. Reasons below:

1. The Italian Store
2. Moving to Virginia is an immediate pay raise.
3. Good restaurants, particularly great authentic, ethnic restaurants that are trying to hard to be trendy but aren't necessarily good.
4. Half price burgers at Whitlow's on Mondays.
5. Progressive politics.
6. The Italian Store.
7. Hanging out at the Java Shack coffee shop, a true, locally-owned coffee shop and not just another Starbucks.
8. Metro access.
9. The parking is getting to be a nightmare, but at least your car will be there at the end of the night.
10. Did I mention the Italian Store?