Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Jimmy Meritt Is Not a Hack and I AM a Jackass

Went to Ned Divine's last night in Sterling. Lot of really good comics there and I had a great time. Several quick hits:

1) Larry Poon was a 37 out of 10 last night. I mean good heavens that was amazing.

2) Justin Schlegel and I traded premises. He had one that he hated and I had one that I hated. We exchanged and I think both will be functional for their new owners. I like doing this. So from now on, 'Name a Star After Someone' is mine and 'Whenever I have to make #2 at my office I run into my boss and have to talk for several minutes' is now Justin's. Advantage Rouhier.

3) Now to the title of the blog. I am a complete idiot who puts his foot in his mouth all the time. I basically, completely by accident, called Jimmy Meritt a hack. The irony is, I am 14.7 times more hacky than Jimmy. Even more ironically, I did this in my joke about 'Hacks'. Weird.

Here is how it went down. If you've never seen the joke before, I basically connect things on stage with things off stage. Aka, comics cannot be hacky but regular people can be all the time. In order to do this, I quickly point out what a 'hacky comic' is so the audience gets it so I can make the parallel. Here is what I said:

"You know what a hacky comic is? Its a guy that uses the same stuff as everyone else; you know like the same stuff you have heard forever? 'What's the deal with airline food...and starbucks....' So I went on and finished the joke not even thinking twice. In my head, I meant the following: 'people that say what's the deal with starbucks...there are so many starbucks' are hacks. And they are. They are right up there with prescription drug side affects and my voices in the Hacktheon.

Jimmy has a joke about Starbucks. It is definitely not hacky. In my mind, its not even about Starbucks so much as it is a funny take on those 'inspirational quotes' put on cups. They could be on Carribou coffee cups, or Brothers Coffee, or any other place that sells beverages for that matter. It is a good joke. Anyway, I said what I said, and basically called Jimmy a hack. This means I am an idiot. I apologized to Jimmy last night, and am apologizing again right now. My bad chad (Jimmy). Read his blog on his page about last night. He's pretty much right on...I would have been destroyed.

Other than that, a great time was had by all.

Last thought: I love watching Joe Robinson be mean to a crowd. It now ranks just behind watching Mumma bomb as my favorite things to watch...

5 comments:

Drumm said...

Danny,

The Starbucks thing is entirely not your fault. You got that from me. You asked me one time at Dremo's what are some hacky premises that white comics use...I said "Airline Food and Starbucks." I didn't have Jimmy in mind, I had heard other crappy open micers do rants about why Starbucks cost so much, why there are so many, etc. etc. I was actually pleasantly surprised that you took a novice's input and used in some of your material...shows what you know! But seriously, that's all on me.

Drumm

FunnyDanny said...

Yeah...the Drumm set me up...

Joe Robinson said...

Can't you stop thinking about yourself and let us laugh at the awkwardness of that situation? Your apology kind of ruins it.

Mike said...

I wrote a joke about naming a star after someone. I've yet to dust it off and perform it, but is that topic now hack as well?-Mike O'Hara

FunnyDanny said...

I think it probably is hack now Mike. I think a pretty good rule of thumb is, if its in Danny's bag, its got a spectacular chance of being hacky.