Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Music

John Mayer sucks. He rocks the 'sensitive chick rock that plays to chicks who watch lifetime movies and chick flicks'. He is a talented dude, but there are millions of talented dudes out there who can do exactly what he does. FunnyDanny fact: If I can do a reasonable impersonation of your singing voice, you suck. Several female acquaintances believe that I am jealous which is why I resent him. I am certainly envious of his success. But please do not confuse that with my ability to evaluate the fact that he is ungood and you are an idiot for liking him.

Music is in a weird place right now. There are divergent trends taking place. Bands like the Killers, Arcade Fire, the Walkmen and others, are doing cool things with rock. I don't know the stupid terms that dumb magazines use, so I'll use my terms. They are kind of like preppy punk bands. Really neat sounds. Sort of like a cool 80s band like 'the clash' updated for 2006 with some spice. Anyway, its good.

The other trend is for some atrocious R+B to clog the airwaves with help from the white R+B, chick rock. The John Mayers, the suspect R+B with terrible hooks. I don't know any of the names because of the badness but you all know what I mean. That song that dude sings with the Gallery, and the monotone singing lady that sings about 'you heard about how I do what I do and you want to see if it's true'...Brutal. I just had a thought. Lots of people dislike country music because of their simple and gimmicky songs. Well, these tunes and others like them, are the new country. Pop country...Puntry. Bang.

The R+B I grew up with was actually pretty solid. Not my fav genre to be sure but we had some good ones. A dude named Michael Jackson was pretty awesome, Lionel Ritchie (who I believe should be given a medal of achievement for so many reasons), Mary J. Blige and others. You can even go back and talk about Jodeci, Boys II Men, Bel Biv Devoe. Yes, there was some cheese factor but tell me this, if you are hanging out at your boy's house having some adult sodas, and 'End of the Road' comes on...tell me you are not going to sing along and clap on that one part where there is a clap. "Though we've come....(CLAP) to the end, of the Ro-ode (CLAP)"...

Well, that's what my friends do...

1 comment:

Sam Kirby said...

Just know that before Bel Biv Devoe...there was but one..NEW EDITION. I put money and some loose skittles I found under the fridge up against anyone who can name a better R&B band.