Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Rock the Paz-bah by order of the Shackelford

What a fun show last night at the Topaz Bar. Chris Palmer hosted the show and brought 1.4 million people with him. Standing room only. Crowd was a little slow to warm up but they seemed to be picking up what Jon Mumma was putting down.

Side note: That is one funny f*cking dude. Mumma is one of my favorite people to watch, not comics, people. He cracks me up. His material is really good and he is a good writer but there are a lot of people like that out there. What makes him so funny to me, is how he gets how awkward the whole dynamic is of a comic sharing personal struggles and insecurities with strangers and when we (comics) don't get the instant approval or validation, we tend to get bitter towards the crowd. Jon doesn't do that. He just makes it more awkward by going off the cuff and saying things that are funny to him. It makes me want to raise a kid and teach him the lessons that Jon teaches all of us...Back to the story:

Once the crowd got going, the show was fun. As a side, more than half the people there were old. I don't mean old like 30, I mean old like 70. They seemed to be offended by...well everything early on. Ryan Conner has a joke that is plenty clean enough for tv that he opened with...and it freaked out a few members of the crowd. Gradually, they loosened up so that when I went in with my stable of hacky potty jokes on stilts, they were ready to giggle.

One thing that really singes my pantaloons is when people say that they 'never got your email'. Yes you did. Liar. You may have accidentally deleted it, you may have read it and meant to respond but forgot and then later thought you responded when you actually only meant to respond and never actually followed through with the responding, or you may have been in the midst of a massive inbox clean-up and were going through a 'I'll delete everything! I don't care!' phase like book-burners post-Weimar in east Berlin (look it up dog. I'll hold).

This is such a convenient thing to hide behind. Happened to me the other day. I sent an email I was supposed to send with a bunch of info in it. The dude got it. I didn't get an error message and its in my outbox. Now its my word against his and I am a small brick in the building support structure so I lose. Some people counteract this with those 'Read Receipt' things but you don't want to be that guy...

"Excuse me. I said, EXCUSE ME. Have you read my message which is more important than the others. So important in fact that I am attaching a little extra hurdle for you to jump over before you go onto your next business item and make sure that you are on my schedule instead of your own. My mom, who I live with, agrees that sometimes you've got to just stick your nose in people's faces in business. Nevermind that everyone talks about how annoying I am while I sit alone in my office and clear out the break room every time I come in for a pastry and a sanka."

Don't be that guy...

1 comment:

Conroy99 said...

Wow-I can't believe you referenced the Weimar Republic. I had to write a paper on that at GW. That's where I went to school, you know. GW. Ever heard of it?