Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Myspace

I was/am very reluctant to get into the myspace phenomenon. It seemed to me to be an outlet for any toolbelt to get a website. I still think that. I had to sign up for a myspace account so I could view some of these web pages and I've received a few of these 'become my myspace friend' invites. It wasn't too long ago that there was a stigma attached to being 'internet friends' with someone but it seems that this is being replaced with, 'internet friends are generally acceptable and its a great way to chat with people." There are some comics that I really like who use it as well as my good buddies in the rock band Vaeda http://www.myspace.com/vaeda

You know what else is a great way to chat? phones. You know what else? email. If I have your contact info, it means I want to contact you. There are maybe a small handful of people where at any given time I have said, 'I wish I could contact this person but I can't'. I am willing to trade that for the bombardment people seem to get from myspace/friendster etc. Some might say I am stubborn for not embracing the new technologies and they would be right. Some would say that I don't really know what I'm talking about and they too would be right. Others would thank me and say that these little 'do it easy' web pages should be left to college students for when they get bored with facebook.com. Still others would embrace myspace as a means to market oneself in the world of comedy and put aside his silly impressions of a useful tool. Not me. That's how I roll.

I hate that I can get comfortable using a modicum of technology only to have it replaced by another that I don't consider to be more functional. A great case and point are google or yahoo groups. My boys and I have a list serve where we banter and exchange humor. We were forced to move to one of these groups by the technology nazis in our midst and the functionality of the 'individual reply' was no more. There were these complaints and claims of 'deleting emails' and the like but they are bogus. If you have gmail, whether you use a group or not, a reply to the same message is still in one conversation so there are no extra messages to delete. The group benefits the 2 guys that can do some other kind of sh*t that the rest of us are clueless about and the peons are left to complain and wonder what was wrong with actually seeing who you are sending a message to instead of some group. It is harder to maintain contact lists because of these groups. Don't email me individually, use the group so everyone can see it.

This post was unhumorous. Happy Holidizzles to all.

No comments: