Welcome Internet.com Traveler

Below you will find the following elements: mirth, joy, humor, mockery, insinuation, sport, politics, comedy, rants, awkwardness, opinions, communacable disease, self-promotion, and lingo. Enjoy.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Fantasy

Are people into fantasy sports? I am. I love it. I realize it is dorky but it fulfills an incredible need. Every reasonable dude that likes sport wants to manage a team. This is a reduced pressure environment where he can do that and will not get fired when he finishes in last place and stops checking his team because he is out of it in September when Shaun Alexander went down...

I am 6 leagues right now. 4 football and 2 NBA. I love fantasy NBA. It is my favorite fantasy sport. The reason I love it is because the stars are fantasy stars. In football, a dude can be a dominant player, but doesn't give you fantasy points (Lineman etc.). In the NBA, the best players score fantasy points for you. It sound elementary but it is very refreshing. Also, because there are more games, it is more reasonable to predict trends and see how things are going instead of one game flare ups that happen in the NFL. I am in the minority. I know this.

I have gone through a couple of cycles as an NBA fan.

1) Childhood: I loved the NBA. I loved, Bird, Magic, youn MJ. I loved Bernard King. I loved the style of play. Everyone could shoot, they flew up and down the floor, and it was entertaining as h*ll. Basketball was beautiful.

2) Teenage Years: Villains like Pat Riley (who gave so much joy before) and Jeff Van Gundy ruin basketball. It becomes a defensive battle with post ups, isolations, guys hand-checking, backing players down, and a slow down/grind it out style that made me sick. Horrible to watch.

3) Older Childhood (now): The NBA is on its way back. Not the best route (allowing young stars WAY too many liberties and benefits to market them) but still, the basketball is better. Teams like Dallas and Phoenix play like teams did in the 80s. Everyone can shoot, they spread the floor, and they move and cut. Athletes are athletic again and are allowed to shine. We're close people. We are close.

As to your hometown Wizards. We are being lied to. The words out of Wiz camp are that we are going to compete for the East. Do not believe the lies. We haven't beaten Miami in 4 years, we cannot guard anyone, and we lack a post presence on either end with any semblance of consistency. We'll be the 6 seed again and lose to one of the top 3 teams in round 1.

I just realized that no one cared about this blog. Out.

5 comments:

Rob Maher said...

I cared Danny but that's not saying much. The NBA is making a resurgence, thank God. 82-79 games sicken me. It's not great defense. It's horrendous offense with some solid D thrown in. Our Wiz talked the same junk last year about a commitment to D. I will believe when I see it. 46 wins and a first round playoff loss sounds about right to me. The bad part is that I am completely OK with that. After sucking ass for so long I am content with them just being slightly above average. This should have been an email.

Drumm said...

I care as well, although you are not a true fantasy player unless you are doing baseball (not saying you aren't...just that a lot of people say they love fantasy, but only do football/basketball). Why do I say that? B/C for FB and BB, it is basically over after the draft. You make minor adjustments due to injury, hope for a Marquis Colston-type FA signing and that's that. Baseball actually requires some intellect and effort.

Example - You blogged about how awesome your Fantasy football team is awhile back. Now with injuries to Hasselbeck and Fitzgerald, Harrison not getting TDs, your RBs all muddling (Johnson is ranked around 8th - w/half the points of LDT/LJ-types, Edge - 18th, and Maroney - 27th), and the Jags D crapping the bed, my guess is that you went 0-4 or 1-3 since that blog...am I right? Is it your fault...not really, but with so few games you can be done before you get started. Agree with Rob, this comment should have been an e-mail...oh well

FunnyDanny said...

I'll email you guys later...

Anonymous said...

I liked this blog entry, because I get roundly mocked for liking the NBA amongst my friends. here's the best/funniest week-by-week, safe-for-work, NBA coverage out there, in my book : http://www.fiyastarter.com/fs-pages/fs-home.htm

Unknown said...

i agree with your analysis of the late NBA era, i passed the same circle.